Farmer Kitty

Let's Talk Cows

Forums

Forum Home > Forages, Grains, and Pasture > Chopping corn

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

We have been chopping corn. As we went I took pictures so show. Our corn goes on a pile as the silos are full of hay and small grains.We use round bales to form the bunker walls.

Opening the field.

1st load unloaded.

Unloading

Corn off field and on pile.

Then it's time to cover the pile with plastic.

It still needs some more round bales along the edge of the plastic but otherwise it's done.

--

1 DH, 2 daughters (Jess(or KK) and Peanut), Dairy cows, Chickens, 2 bunnies, 1 St. Bernard dog, 4 orses, and numerous kitties.

September 21, 2009 at 11:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob!

Interesting!

You mean you have a machine that just plows though the corn field, chopping it ALL up into tiny bits?

--

I must be blinder than I thought! It's winter and I NEVER saw any fall Beefmaster pictures.

September 21, 2009 at 12:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

Yeah, it's called a chopper. Ours has a hay head or a corn head, which is meant to pull the crop into the chopper so it can be chopped up and blown into the wagon to be unloaded at he blower.

--

1 DH, 2 daughters (Jess(or KK) and Peanut), Dairy cows, Chickens, 2 bunnies, 1 St. Bernard dog, 4 orses, and numerous kitties.

September 21, 2009 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob!

That would be like brush hogging a corn field!

I wanna chop up a corn field!

--

I must be blinder than I thought! It's winter and I NEVER saw any fall Beefmaster pictures.

September 21, 2009 at 12:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

Well, not quite. It's chopped a specific lengths and blown into a chopper box, not left on the field. :D

--

September 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bob!

Farmer Kitty at 12:39PM on Sep 21, 2009

Well, not quite. It's chopped a specific lengths and blown into a chopper box, not left on the field. :D

Yea, but you still get to level a corn field!

That's what  I like about brush hogging!

Swamp rush, bushes and small trees, (maybe a few rotten logs) GONE!

As long as it's all chewed up, I don't care where it gets spit out!

--

September 21, 2009 at 12:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

I do care where it gets spit out when it's feed for the cows this winter!

--

September 21, 2009 at 1:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jhm47

Don't you pack your silage?  I see you use a blower to put it in the pile, but if you don't pack it (at least in this area) it has a lot of spoilage.  Also, we cover our piles with syrup from ethanol plants.  It's great feed, and seals up the surface area completely.  Saves us buying plastic each year too.   Most of us also use a silage inoculant.  It is a mixture of beneficial bacteria which help the silage to quickly ferment. 

September 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

No packing. It seems to pack well as it is real green. We have always had good luck this way. I do know most pack theirs around here too.

--

September 21, 2009 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

jhm47

Packing can  be pretty dangerous.  I've rolled a couple tractors off the pile myself.  Seems I was always trying to get too close to the edge and ------- Over I'd go.  Scary the first time.

September 21, 2009 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Farmer Kitty
Site Owner

I would think it would be scary every time! For me, I wouldn't get close enough to the edge for just that reason.

--

September 21, 2009 at 4:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day